Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Chattering on 3rd July 07

I have been totally disorganised over this for about the last tend days. Partly I think because on Sunday 23rd June I was so careful over doing all the extras to stop a migraine, I forgot to take my basic medication and therefore I had a really vicious one the following morning. The net result was the whole rest of the week was out of sync really with doing the basics.


On Wednesday I went to Birmingham to meet with my academic advisor, Stephen Pattison. It was a bit of a mixed day as it was the day after the floods so I decided to go early in case of train delays. Of course having decided that, there weren't any. Secondly I was meeting him on the main campus rather than where I normally "hang-out" which is at the Selly Oak campus. Although I have not yet found the food hall at Selly Oak I know where to get a coffee, where to work and how to get around the library. The main campus (Edgebaston) however has a Waterstones on it that is second to none in selling reading accessories. Well since I have discovered book chairs and how much easier they make serious reading, I have a bit of an addiction to those. I spoilt myself to some but the one thing that really does what it says on the packet is a PageKeeper.I can see me needing more of those as I very rarely have only two on the go. The actual meeting was great, but then if you ever want to get into a PhD students good books, then just let them talk about their research for three quarters of an hour without interruption. Got the train back and was in safely.


Thursday I took my first refresher driving lesson. I did very well considering it was the awkward day of the month so I was on more painkillers than I would have liked to have been. Yes I thought that that was not until a week later. However intriguingly they did not appear to affect my driving too badly, indeed Saturday's lesson when I was not on them, but had not got up properly so my shoulder was giving jip, was a worse lesson. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a fine day. The weather was still damp.


Friday was going to be Greek and then a normal day at work only to get a phone call from Billie Anne saying "how about dinner tonight?" to which I said yes. Went into work and was just settling only to get a phone call from Bill Armstrong who was worrying about the cellar. I had been studiously not asking questions just in case I got lumbered with doing more than I had already. To satisfy Bill I met him at the church and let him into the cellar. I think Bill is right in that he has a key, but has misplaced it. Anyway there was only a couple of inches in the cellar and he checked the hall as well. The buildings are reasonably water tight though some leading has been nicked from the disabled toilet. Daft thing is it is such a small quantity that it hardly could have been worth the effort.


Then in the evening went with Billie Anne to East One a noodle bar in the West One building. This is a regular haunt with me at present. I go there most weeks with somebody. It started last year when it was where Sarah and I went for Sunday Lunch, but Stuart also likes going there and then it is a place where they will normally find me a seat even if it is very full. They did that this time as we got the "staff" table hidden away at the back. They serve huge portions, so much so that Sarah and I shared one this Sunday. Billie Anne is great fun to have around. She is considering at the moment finishing her PhD, and while she is doing this buying a share in a flat in Sheffield. So after the meal we walked down town afterwards to see the changes in the city centre since she left and because I wanted to see the new Cathedral centre, we walked back of the Cathedral. What I had forgotten is that that is the central housing agents area. So we ended up looking at what they had in their windows that Billie Anne might be interested in.


Saturday was rather wet, so mum and dad did not come over. Instead I went shopping for a waterproof, I having lost my previous one earlier in the year and my summer one is loosing its waterproofing. Finally my very old one is getting too small. I bought myself waterproof trousers as well. I am also considering getting flowery Wellingtons as there is a shop just back of Central URC that is selling them. I have not yet been persuaded that the church cellar is going to flood often enough when James is away for me to need them.


Sunday was communion. Realised one reason why St. Andrew's communion feels so complex is we all have imbibed the fluffs of our predecessors as tradition and are trying to keep them going. They are going to be in difficulties in the first Sunday in October as I will be in Chesterfield that Sunday (it is my first official observation Sunday). Unfortunately I did not get to the Muslim -Christian dialogues as I wanted to get the second interview transcribed for Monday.



Yesterday I was down to see my supervisor. A good day and I am so used to working on the train that I now get more work done on days I am in Birmingham than days I am not. I also have got a radio mouse so I do not need to struggle with wires (why do they always get knotted no matter how carefully you put them away or how short a time. Got the train back and then because I had not had any papers for Elders decided that with Ian and probably James away they had decided to postpone it to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment