Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cold stops play

This week should be fairly short as there is not much to report due to having a cold mid week.

Monday a normalish day, got to work, did somethings came home and went to writers group and I do not think there is anything more too report on. Tuesday and Wednesday were a washout. However on Wednesday the weather decided to rain. Whats more that it would rain Sheffield style for something like six hours. Sheffield style is heavy rain for short periods, normally two hours maximum. Manchester and west of the Penines does the other style which is gentle rain fairly steady for long periods of time. It starts with about four hours and works up from there. The noticeable thing is with Sheffield style rain you cannot avoid puddles as entire roads and pavements have an inch or so of running water. That's right the waters moving, in fact in less than fifteen minutes after the rain storm has stopped the roads are clear. On Wednesday afternoon and evening my flat windows looked as if I were taking it through a carwash. UK people will have seen the pictures on the news. The video on this page should give you some idea of what it was like .

Thursday I was back into work and had a productive day for once, I just seemed to get on with work rather than think about it. That meant a lot got done that had been hanging over my head. Don't ask me what the reason was, I just sometimes get days like that.

The mood wasn't totally over on Friday so I got somethings done on my thesis. Another interview transcribed (alright all I had to do was about five minutes of it but it was done), some reading. However before I did all those I went to check on the water levels in the cellar. The good news was that pumps had definitely worked. The bad news was that there was evidence for about eighteen inches of water having been in the cellar. I am pleased that the pumps worked, I am cautious about the water level. There was no sign of the water level going above the electrics but it was higher than I would have liked, but that is just cautious me.

Saturday I went out with St Andrew's Chesterfield for a meal at the Sandpiper Hotel Chesterfield. There was a good turn out for it and everyone seemed to have a good time. However if ever I get to organising anything that hotel is probably not on my list. The meal was standard hotel food. There were highlights, what I believe was a really rather good bread and butter pudding, but there were low lights as well, the cod tasted as if it had been kept warm too long (and we were if anything early in for lunch) and the fruit salad they did had watermelon in which in my eyes was a pointless expense and detracted from the rest of the fruit salad. I have nothing against watermelon, particular freshly picked in the shade of trees after a long walk. However when served in an English fruit salad against strawberries, kiwi fruit and pineapple, it contributes absolutely zilch to the flavour and gives an unpleasant gritty texture in the mouth.

Today I have had a day off. Slept in late, finished typing up the description of the meal yesterday and written this. The reason for the day off this time is there is no way I will be having a day off next weekend. It is church bazaar on the Saturday, followed by AGM on the Sunday and Just Desserts on the evening. I may miss just dessserts.

This week I have a meeting with my boss and need to get out some emails to staff at the University. It would also be a good idea if I got another recording broken down for transcription and some serious reading done. Then there is the bazaar on Saturday and I am photographer again so plenty to keep me busy. There is also a possibility of another interview at the end of the month, fingers crossed as this one would plug a major gap.

No comments:

Post a Comment