Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, November 29, 2009

A cold and a missed induction

This week isn't one full of news. I finished my SPSS course on Monday, but when I got back I noticed that I felt a bit odd, and that usually means I am going down with something. I was not necessarily sure what, but I sent apologies to writers group worried it was a migraine but feeling rather frustrated.

Anyway Tuesday came and it decided to declare itself as a cold, so yay for it not being a migraine, bah for it then being a cold. My suspect for handing it onto me seems to be a nine month year old child who had a foul one on the train. Mother was not managing her at all well, at least in part because she had a cold, was over stimulated having been out for the day, and tired. Of course her ability to keep germs to herself had not yet developed.  Well it was one of these that landed me in bed the next day (well the majority of the day anyway) and although getting  better towards the weekend has not been quick to clear. I still know it is there, just not all the time. Actually the extent of my creativity this time rose to wet weather pictures, and yes Fleur the yellow blob is Sandra and cleaning the fridge and the bath. The fridge should have been cleaned months ago but I just had not found the time.

Friday I got as far as doing a shop but that was really as much as I was up to and I had two things on on Saturday which were do not miss.

Well I made one of them on Saturday. I picked up the car fine on Saturday morning, had to fill with petrol that led to a detour, as there are no petrol stations on the way to Herringthorpe from my flat. Got to Herringthorpe early enough to get a parking space, even though I was only ten minutes before opening time. Ten minutes later there were none, and people wanted to be into the car park because the weather was bad. This led I think to triple parking. They have a morning Christmas fair which starts at 11:00 and goes onto 2:00 p.m.. It is is some ways very similar to those at Chesterfield. Most of the stalls could have been interchanged. However I managed to get onto the kitchen duties (yes I know that is not exactly difficult for me) which is something I never could have done at St Andrews Chesterfield. They booked me 11-12 but really needed me 11:30 to 1:30 unfortunately I had to leave in order to try and get to my second engagement of the day.

So at about 1:30 p.m. having vaguely sorted myself I set off to Nottingham to try and get to David Legge's induction at 3 p.m. that afternoon. I knew that Doncaster were away to Notts Forrest, kick off 3p.m. same time as the start of the ordination. I also knew that it was going to be easier to come in to Nottingham from a more northerly direction than the Motorway gives. So I had set my SatNav to go via Worksop and Mansfield.  Unfortunately I did not realise this meant the centre of Worksop and the centre of Mansfield. The centre of Mansfield was fine the centre of Worksop was not. Particularly annoying as I did not realise until I was off the ring road. What I also did not realise was although it looked like the main A road on the way down, it was infact most 50 or 40 mile and hour speed limit. Just a couple of miles or so further east is I think the A618, which does not go through Mansfield, and is national speed limit most of the way. It would have been a far better bet. I know now having driven up it. I got into Nottingham and knew the church was on Edwards Lane. I was one piece of information shore. I had assumed that Edwards Lane was a relatively short road. Lanes normally are quite short. Its about two miles long and leads into another long road called Beckhamptom Road. Even worse still it has the Edgerton Road South, Edgerton Road North feel about it, in that there is a major junction splitting the road into two parts. I ended up on the wrong part. The result was that I drove up and down it several times and could not find the church. At about 3:30 pm I ended up deciding that even if I did find the church now I would not go in and drove home without the Sat Nav. Actually originally just heading out of the city inorder to find somewhere I could get something wet to drink. I was half way home before I found one but the drive had been a lot smoother. I went in an ordered a Coke and a pot of tea as I had not had anything to drink since just after 11:00 in the morning. Having got home know that it was probably for the best health wise, I was tired enough only having done what I did but still dispirited at having missed the induction service after making all that effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment