Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Life around packing up offices

Monday was the date of my annual review for work. I was not expecting major plaudits but there was an acknowledgement that I was doing fine at present. Actually my major grump that I can start saying things must be done weeks in advance and NO ONE listens until its too late and we annoy people by changing things when they are expecting continuity went home. The fact is when we update software we need to do it earlier than when we first install software (or rather we need to do it in a test environment earlier) so that we can tell staff what version will be running the next year before they go on holiday.  So next year I have to work at getting people to do things. Something I am oddly reluctant to do at work, when it comes to PhD I am ready and willing. So I am going to have to look at courses on that sort of theme. I suppose I better hope for a breakthrough like last years when I realised why I was doing something, what was reasonable to suspect me to do and so concentrated on getting myself focused on a restricted number of tasks each day rather than trying to tackle everything. Actually having short lists is great because they give you time to play but you keep on top of things and I can manage a day at a time. In the evening I went to writers group. It was good to be back, although it turns out that Jan, one of the group has what sounds like quite a serious form of cancer.

Tuesday was a busy day with me doing an analysis for Jessops hospital and then talking through it, also I got the new slow cooker I had ordered. I finally decided over the weekend that the present one was:
  1. broken- the setting button had come off and no longer allowed me to change the settings
  2. I needed a bigger one, when I started I thought I would cook perhaps double meals for myself and put one in the fridge. In actual fact I cook about four meals and put three in the freezer. The old one was not quite big enough for meals for four
  3. Had a long difficult clean after over filling it the last time due to number 2
so I ordered a new one. Still to use it but it is about double the size and I am planning to stick with cooking four meals, two reasons: firstly that is what the recipes normally work with, secondly my freezer isn't big enough to take any more. Oh I also arranged to seem my supervisor next Monday on the grounds that although I was moving next week it was unlikely to be Monday.

Wednesday I found out that I was moving on Monday. I have actually twice moved offices when I was away. What I do is pack everything up, label it all, then porters move it across and I unpack afterwards. It means I do not waste a day, nor do I get in the porters/van boys way. So I spent Thursday and Friday packing when in work.  I have labelled everything, I think in the end they will decide I have been neurotic about it, but I wanted to make things as simple as I could. Every last thing has been packed. i can lift every single box although a lot I would not want to walk far with them. Books went into smaller boxes although ring files went into crates. I am going to have to weed out the defunct files once I am in the new office as there are quite a few where I have been waiting for over five years for someone to come back with a PhD questionnaire that they carried out. They are not going to now. The new office is a single office again, but this is short term as the department is  moving big scale oin 6 to 18 months, to the Brunswick Street building (former nurses home). This will mean the pulling out of a lot of staff from a lot of dispersed places.

Friday Evening I went to the Dicksons for supper. It was good to spend time with them again. Amongst topics James brought up was that he had a scan of a photograph of Lorna Trevorrow, but the original photo graph was damaged, could I do anything about it. I was dubious, I can do repairs of some things but I was scared that there might be a complex background or a lot of colour detail, bot of which makes it very hard indeed to manually do repairs. Photoshop CS5 I believe does them automatically but that is way beyond my budget and so I was using GIMP, which means that I have to have to do a lot more of the work myself. However the picture turned out to be a studio portrait of about fifty years ago in black and white. This meant none of my worries were founded. So I said that James could send them to me and I would have a go.

Saturday was an easy day, I really had very little planned for it. I needed to shop in town but wrote a list and largely stuck to it, although I still haven't got the hook. I also went to bed on the afternoon and then wrote up two diary entries for my PhD. Stuart came around to return my church keys. WE spent a time chatting together before he went off to watch the world cup match so that he was up to speed the next day at work.

Today I went to Herringthorpe and spent some time talking to the daughter of one of the regulars. Her mother rebinds the hymn books and such. Actually the rebinding is getting a bit much for her and were I joining the church I would be volunteering to help. Music is a hot topic at Herringthorpe. I saw a music rehearsal for next Sunday's parade service going on at the same time as people were complaining about the use of the electronic keyboard. There is some thinking to be done over this tension as this has a far wider range of hymns than any other congregation I have known. I am guessing that the music is actually a substitute item for the real issue but what is the real issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment