Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Monday, October 25, 2010

Writers group reading and a cold hampers play

On Monday finally finished “Why women don’t Ask”. It is worth reading, yes Fleur it does say something about the Church but I have not worked it completely out yet. One of the surprising conclusions is that if women’s approach to negotiation was the norm, then solutions would be better but only if they are strongly dominant. Against a male style negotiation someone negotiating in a woman’s style would do worse. It is not a simple book and needs some digesting. At the moment it is enough that it is making me more willing to ask for things. On the evening went to writers group, which was a rehearsal for Friday nights reading. The problem is that while the rehearsal is a good idea in principle it only really demonstrates how much work is needed before we actually get up to the level where we are able to read our pieces well. The rehearsal therefore does for timing and getting a feel for faults but nothing else. I unfortunately managed to get the keyboard for my phone swapped to Japanese. Instead of doing the sensible thing and searching the Internet for a solution instead I tried the heavy approach. It worked but it meant I had to reinstall my synchronisations software. Needless to say this took me longer than I would have liked.

Tuesday was fairly quiet. I got my hair cut and also had a meeting over introductory documents for postgraduate students. One of the problems is we draw the distinction between taught students and research students. On the evening went to Bible Study at Herringthorpe and set up with Mike to learn their sound desk by sitting with someone next Sunday and the following Tuesday for Mike to run through. So I should be up to speed by synod on the following Saturday.

Wednesday I had a fairly quiet day. Cliff came down so got to put St Andrews sound system to a more functional state. Somebody, I don’t know how, decided that the spare loose microphone was extra to requirements and went and chucked it out so when another microphone we could not simply replace one. However the church was in luck, some time before Barry had made an extension cable for one of the microphones to receivers which therefore had the part that was broken in it. So Cliff is able to substitute one for the other. I can’t do that sort of work. However a replacement microphone will cost over £40.

Thursday I thought I had a migraine as a woke feeling lousy. It wore off as the day went one but by evening I had the pain high in my nasal passages that normally signs colds. Other than that I did a mock up of the front of the book for the writers group the following day. I made a mistake in what I should have done was to print two A4 images onto A3 sheets as this would have allowed me to trim to the right size, instead I had borders.

Friday I had a heater coming for my flat. I got up early intending to go to breakfast but then checked the time on the email that Argos sent. The time said “7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.”, so although I was pretty sure it was not going to be that extreme and the cold had come out, I decided that breakfast was out. Indeed they turned up exactly when I expected them i.e at 10:00 a.m.. For those who think this is remarkable, I am fairly fortunate living in town centre, this means that I end up normally at a fairly set place in the run, either first thing or last thing. So once I have ordered once or twice from them I have a good idea of when they will turn up.

In the evening I went to writers group reading at the Bank Street Arts Centre. It also had on a jewellery exhibition. They have a bar but it is on a honesty basis so I presume they do not have a license. The room was smaller than the ones we had previously but this suited the group. As always we performed far better at the actual thing than at the reading. I find it intimidating to read something and not get anything back apart from a round of applause. Part of me is left thinking “What did they really think”. I was also fully dosed up on cold suppressants so slightly out of things which might partly have caused my inability to sense what people were thinking. Stuart came down and we got the tram up but for once in my life I did not check where the tram was going and it only went as far as the Cathedral so we had to swap over and get the next tram. Fortunately the tram does not require you to buy a new ticket.

Saturday it was over to my parents. Again I stuffed myself full with cold suppressants so although I was not sneezing all over the place I was not up to much. The only job Dad would let Ruth and Me do was choose the wine. He then dutifully did not have any himself, but his resolve finally crumbled that evening when there were two glasses left in the bottle and nobody to drive home. It is agreed that he will drink wine when others are around and may occasionally have a glass of whisky in an evening. In the evening I got Dad’s email back working or at least I think I did. This is much to my Mum’s relief. She really is not bothered about wine and such but Dad has always enjoyed a glass. It was good to see Ruth although I really was not up to much.

Sunday was much the same. I got the train back about 5 pm giving Mum and Dad plenty of time to get to church, so much so that I was back in my flat before they got there but it did stop them panicking about whether they had enough time.

Today woke with the cold flaring and decided that a day in might well be a good idea. I hope it has eased things. Unfortunately it meant missing Owen Sheers at St Andrews as I am still to full of it to be of much use.

No comments:

Post a Comment