Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Normal weeks for the start of February

I think this will be thematic rather organised by date. The really good news is that I have sorted my diary, it now seems to be functioning properly or it is doing until the University moves its diary system over to Google Apps. Mind you I came down on Friday evening to find two of the directors larking about with advertising merchandise from Google. I hope things stay sensible. Anyway as long as I sync’ my contacts at the same time and don’t try sync’ing two diaries at the same time it usually does not get into a huff.

I think I am settled down to the normal routine in work, it is funny but getting back and getting into my stride always takes longer than I expect.  Most of my work at present is concentrating on getting the Butyrate paper ready for publication. I am not writing it but I am responsible for the graphs. I hope it comes out. Our conclusion is that the accepted norm is not proven. Indeed even to get the consistency we produce is dubious.The studies are not really comparable and their conclusions don’t agree. What we want to achieve apart from getting the paper published is for a set of more definitive experiments to be funded.

However due to a cold and then an interview for my thesis I then was not in work for very long that week. The interview was with a couple, both on their second marriage as their had both been widowed, who lived out at Maltby. He was a dyed in the wool congregationalist. As strong in that approach as any Presbyterian at St Andrews, while she was Anglican choir in background but had settled in Herringthorpe when her children were small as the local Anglican church had nothing for them. She was not the sort of person to sit on the side lines and was singing in Herringthorpe’s choir within a month.

Last weekend not only was i writing a paper for my next supervision (on small groups at Herringthorpe) but Stuart was giving me and Sarah and anyone who wanted it a tour of Western Park Museum. He was concentrating on the way that paintings are used among the displays to help people visualise what Sheffield was once like. However there was also a new exhibition called Sports Lab. Now normally I think this would largely be of interest to boys but this one included a dance game which I could see any dance minded girl enjoying. They had babies on it while we were there and they really did not get it. However I suspect a primary age girl with some dancing ability could get a really good display.

Sunday I was hoping to get to Herringthorpe for morning worship, church meeting and evening worship, In the end I only made evening worship, which rather conveniently was on not hurrying. Nor did I do any work on my paper but by then it was already clear I would have enough to write. Sunday evening services are bible study as worship. A fairly low key event provided you have a group who are willing to share the leadership and several musicians who will take it in turns to play.

Monday went to writers group and got a surprisingly positive response to the poem I took. Normally there are suggestions for improvement, but this time they seemed happy for it to stay as it was. Even asked whether I had intentionally based it around a sonnet form. No, I really should check what sonnet form is, it just was the form that was natural for that piece.

Wednesday was busy with both a research computing group and a post grad open day. I am afraid most people looking for postgraduate study assuming that IT is irrelevant to their application. Admittedly I did when doing my for Birmingham but then I expected and indeed use the systems at Sheffield. That however brought up a snag the one time in the year where we do get to give post graduates information is an afternoon at the start of term in late September or early October (last year 28th September, looks like 27th September this year ). I need to be around for that.

Thursday started collating the papers for my supervision together and sent them off on Friday having revised my essay. Last time there were relatively few; this time there were lots. That does not mean that last time there was little to talk about and this time lots, just that this time the topics to discuss are bitty so rather than having one big thing to discuss we have lots of little bits. Oh well I will have jumped through another hoop towards the PhD, basically this time give progress report. Did you know there is twice as much form filling associated with a part time PhD as there is with a full one. Someone needs to do something about it, the idea that part timers have that sort of extra time is ridiculous. When they allow up to update records online instead for these procedures then we will be onto a much better system. Oh and it is not necessary for me to review training and check progress separately.

Saturday was a day off, I did go into town, bought an audio extension lead a magazine and some food, then tried to make copies of recordings of interviews  onto CDs. I found out why I have not been doing this as I needed the software to do it. So I bought the software only for two of the remaining three CDs to develop faults. So I have had to order more CDs.

Today Herringthorpe in the morning and then an unwind and relax the rest of the day. I will try and write an account of this morning in church but then to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment