Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Still busy but seem to be coping

It has been a busy week but I am getting used to busy and I think managing to pace myself better than previous years. Some of this is to do with the fact that I actually have more stamina. I therefore don’t have to drive myself with adrenaline so much to achieve the tasks I need to achieve. That makes a huge difference at work as I am able to carry a heavier work load than I have carried for years.

My writers group had two meetings this last week again. The one on Monday I got the whole group laughing with the poem I brought. I am not sure that it would be funny to those outside the group as it was based on our own behaviour around the start of term although fictionalised. The second one I actually took a re-write of the poem I took last week which was aimed to now have a clear point to it, as what had previous been a purely descriptive poem was changed to say something more without being didactic.

Tuesday I was supposed to go to the party to mark the end of the Bible Study year only for once my subconcious decided quite definitely against it. I not only forgot to book the car but I managed to think I could set off at 6:45pm for a 7:00 pm party. That is not start the car at 6:45 but leave the flat at 6:45p.m which means at least another five minutes walk. As I would have had three really heavy days I was not altogether sorry.

Friday I did breakfasts again. This week I think we served 44 people. At one stage one of the guys, I think Alan called me “Sarah” I replied I wasn’t. Given that if it was Alan he had been calling me “Jean Jeanie” the week before I was not being too sympathetic. He then called me “Mary” which meant I think that he was just muddling me up with other people who regularly helped. That’s okay, I am still learning their names and its not helped by have several Daves, Johns and at least two Philips/, the distinctive ones such as Uri and Stephan tend to stick. Oh and one who came this week was a David Hill so I am hoping that the Rev David Hill does not decide to see what happens one week when he is here, it could lead to confusion.

Friday evening I went to see Calendar Girls  which was what I hoped it would be. That is a good human story told with a lot of laughter. To my delight the vicar’s daughter at one time said “I’m a vicars daughter, a single mum and a church organist!” There is just something so true to life about that statement and it is not necessarily based on the real ladies of the WI who made the calendar, for starters there were eleven on them and only six in the show yet the story is believable.

So Saturday was the day I was going to really write the essay, well I got some of the writing done, indeed more than I expected, but felt slightly off colour all day. Fortunately for some reason my brain had been particularly clear on Friday and I had a rough plan of what I was to write. It is so much easier if you have an idea of where you are going. As I was writing about church meeting I thought I better get the relevant pages from the manual. It was quite interesting to read what is actually there and analyse them. There is a clear split of duties between the Church meeting and the Elders meeting. Church meeting has responsibility for mission and for the practical matters of running a church, finance, buildings and so on. Elders on the other hand has pastoral care and worship as its two prime areas of responsibility. What appears to have happened is the Deacon tasks from the Presbyterian Church have been assigned to church meeting while the elders meeting was brought in intact. Of course I have never come across a church that keeps to this boundaries.

Today awoke with the remains of a migraine at least I judge it as such as I did not want to keep my eyes open. So I slept in to 10:00 a.m. then got up and sat down and wrote. I finished about six O’clock but am aware that as it stands it is very much a collection of ideas around church meeting.

So tomorrow I am redrafting and also meeting Sarah for coffee. Not teaching this week, nor do I have Bible study but there are still plenty of people wanting to see me. Friday will be interesting as someone wants to seem me in work just after Broomhall Breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment