Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, October 16, 2011

From a golden autumn afternoon

Right  Monday was a normal day in work. I had said a while ago I would do an analysis for a senior academic who had had a paper bounced.  I am beginning to have one of the fabled skills of some of the older statisticians. That is to look at data and say what is going on with it. This actually only comes from have looked at lots and lots of data and getting a feel for when things work. So I did the analysis but my brain still nagged me so I looked at what I thought was going on. It showed up a much neater model indeed. In the end I sent in the report, and I will have to see what the outcome is. Anyway it does mean that I am starting to develop some skills in using R. I must remember to put that on my professional development log.

Actually it is ridiculous how much logging of professional development I have to do. Three different processes, none of them interlinked! One for my job, one for my study and one for my professional accreditation. The daft thing is the same thing can count in all three settings. The use of R is both for work and professional development, modeling using GAM techniques counts just for professional development. Thesis fortunately is not interested in either. I don’t object to developing professionally, I thrive on it, I don’t object to keeping a log, that seems sensible but having to keep three separate ones seems overkill.

In the evening was writers group. I  was glad to be back. There are once again more poets in the group. Over recent years since Faye  left we were down to tow, but we are now back up to three and maybe slightly more. Actually it is also a surprise to realise I am not the junior poet anymore. I am begin to know my own voice, and to have some feel for what works and what doesn’t in my opinion. This moves beyond the stage where I can say “I like that” or “I don’t like that”. However to choose successful poems for reading is difficult. I should have made up my mind mid week but I am dithering.

Tuesday I awoke feeling as if I had a seasonal bug, I am not even going to call it a cold as apart from making me feel off colour it otherwise has only created the occasional coughing bout. So I have been battling that. It so far seems to have responded to basically me landing on top of it, so plenty of vitamin C, echinacea, throat infection lozenges and hot lemom and honey cordial with ginger wine to send me to sleep when I went to bed early. I have not much idea what worked but it certainly has not boiled out.

Also I have been writing thesis this week. So one week down and at least forty left to go. You can read about it on my thesis blog . Actually the process of doing timed writing most mornings seems to generate a rush of energy for me. I give myself half and hour to write 400 words (I have re-set that to 500 as I am easily writing in excess of that each day and doing it for four days a week (still aiming at 2,000 words a week). It will be interesting to see if the pace keeps up. Actually I also suspect that at long last I am beginning to get some idea of what my thesis is. Some of this I suspect that a lot of my analysis actually occurs during writing.

This is officially a writing weekend but as I am ahead on the writing I really should be doing something about catching up on the readings. So I hope you will excuse my brevity.






No comments:

Post a Comment