Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, October 14, 2012

On returning to normal routine

This week has been far more normal I have less to report. I have largely been thinking myself back into the routine of the weeks. There are still things to be sorted but I am getting there. I hoping in work that things are not too noisy this week as builders come in to rework the building I am in and in particular this coming week the offices next to mine. This has been expected but its arrival was sudden. Guesses earlier in the week would have put it much closer to Christmas or even into next year as the pressure had been taken off by the fact we were into a new academic year and most moves of staff in universities happen over the summer.

I am getting fed up with a small number of acts of vandalism that are happening to the sound system. They are small scale, none in themselves that drastic but every time I end up on the sound system another one happens and normally it is clear that they did not happen by accident. The latest was the pulling out of an aerial from one of the microphones. Clips have been taken, pads ripped off earphones. The thing is that we should know who is using the system and the keys are in the vestry so it looks like an insider job. I am going to hope Cliff can fix the latest one.

Otherwise it was back to writers group and feeling as if this half term is very crushed with having missed two weeks. I went this week and read a poem but next week is rehearsal for our reading at Bank Streets Arts which is part of Off the Shelf Festival. We are launching a new collection so if you are interested in the collection please let me know.

Thesis wise I have had a massive writing week with over 5,500 words written. While on holiday I had been analysing the data chapters for times when elements talked about belonging. That means that I must have extracted about 10% of those chapters to put into this chapter. However the preparation paid off and I was easily able to write about this despite having a cold, if I had not had a cold I might just have made church today but cold both slowed me yesterday and also meant I need to spend a second day in today. Admittedly I pulled all the discipline stops, Pomodoro, music in background and the promise of treats if I did over a certain number of words but it got written. I am now officially over 80,000 words and the thesis has to grow before it can shrink.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jean
    My experience with sound system disruption is that our youth change things to suit their mod needs and don't put them back as before. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete