Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, March 29, 2009

A quiet week for a change

Monday I had a migraine again. In all fairness I had had inklings of it all weekend and taken Sunday off due to feeling slightly migrainous but Monday was not good. I was glad when it was gone on Tuesday.

Tuesday I was into work. They are running out of space for all they want to do in the building where I am working. The result is they want to shorten my workspace by about 2 ft. Nothing much to worry about really except I have to make sure I have a place for a chair and then I need to chuck some old boxes. Then shopping in the evening for food and such.

Wednesday was totally undramatic except we tried at work my ginger cake which was too dry. My mistake for missing out the oil, but this led me to ask further how to make it more moist and not only was the absense of oil spotted but the suggestion of putting in sweet potato. I redid it on Friday night so that Mum could try it on Saturday and the new recipe works really well. I need to cook it for longer, I think 45 minutes at 200C in my oven, as it flopped slightly while cooling. Once I have confirmed that was the only error I will release the recipe and let others try it. It is very gingery but that is what you should expect from a ginger cake.

Thursday was my day for visiting Birmingham for supervision. I originally planned to walk out from the city centre but the weather forecast was for poor weather so I decided to train in instead. In Birmingham the train runs right onto the Edgebaston Campus and within half a mile of the Selly Oak one. Actually a small break through on how to keep my self from hitting a crisis point when I arrive back at Sheffield. The solution is soup from the buffet at Birmingham New Street Station. I turn up for the train ahead of the one I am booked on and I buy myself a bowl of soup and eat it before I catch the train. It has enough energy stuff in it to keep me going until I get home and can cook myself tea. I found a couple of papers that were relevant to my PhD and then saw my supervisor.

Friday, was quiet as a whole although I ended up making the ginger cake on the evening and that meant going shopping but as I needed to shop for lunch the next day anyway it really was only the cake that was extra. So I also got out my acrylic paints and had a go at just painting, nothing really specific just messing around with the colours to see what sort of effects I could get. The main problem was that the set lacked black, and there really is no way you can mix black. Other than that I am going to have to sort out what I use as a palette and then get some ideas about what I want to paint when I do this sort of painting. I am not sure at all at present.

Saturday my parents came over. I asked them to come later than usual as I awoke fairly tired. So they came about lunch time, I kept putting the meal on too late but we were eating 1:10 p.m.. The main course was a ready made pie, green veg and sweet potato and butternut squash mash. The pie and the green veg were ready prepared and the mash just pre prepared into cubes which needed boiling and then mashing so very very simple. The pudding was the ginger cake with soya "cream" which was good enough to require second slices of for all of us. The fact that it was low sugar, had oats and sweet potato in made it very easy to justify. We then went into town to find Easter presents for Hannah and Sam. Mothercare provided Hannah's before we got down town but Sam's was just not turning up. In the end we gave up and came back home as Mum said Dad was getting tired and he was certainly not finding it easy going. We then had ginger and lemon tea with Apple hot cross buns before Mum and Dad went home.

Today I was over to Chesterfield, the sun was shining and the sky was blue. The service was fine, except David's sermon did not pass basic biblical muster, too simple a solution to the problem of why do we have the Old Testament. My answer is simply because without it we would have a very sparse view of God's relationship to humanity. The gospel and the church do not come out of nowhere but out of a tradition that spans millenia. David's seemed to think it was something to do with the evidence of failure of our law keeping. Now the only problem is that covenant pre-dates law, by a couple of centuries and covenants that matter are always made solely by God. It is because they are the chosen people of the covenant the Jew's recieve the law. The initiative is solely God's. Anyway things look as if they will be fairly quiet over this week with just house group to go to. Holy week I have Maundy Thursday service and then there may be a Good Friday but as I need to write that weekend and it is my fathers 80th Birthday I am wary.

No comments:

Post a Comment