Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Teaching and Fairtrade Breakfast

Right lets see about my news for this week. Firstly let me say for those who may be confused that I have not had a migraine all week. The day I was likely too was Thursday and I was in work all day that day. Friday I did not make breakfast but that was because of a bad dream which left me feeling yuck and insecure out of my bed. It wore off by 11:00 a.m. but was not pleasant and as I had no reason other than breakfast I thought I would indulge myself.

Monday I got told I was a saint, by somebody who I had helped out, well I had spotted something in her analysis that I was not aware of because of how she presented it to me, by doing that I was able to reorganise her analysis so that it made sense and tell her how to do it. Then I got into a conversation with a group who are working to develop a model for the reaction of the fallopian tube to sperm cells. This is in the long term to reduce the number of in-vitro and in-vivo experiments that are required. Quite possibly it will also lay the background information to help with infertility. I went to writers group. It was good to make it and took the work I had written from two weeks earlier when I did not make it. The piece was short to the point of brevity but it worked. It is interesting how people caught the references straight off when they were English to pancake day while those who weren't didn't. What is also interesting is that although I got questioned on that I did not get questioned on my reference to Candlemas and yet Candlemas is definitely the lesser known date in the religious year. So I wonder what sense they made of that reference or how they understood it, maybe they thought it referred to Christmas which it does in a way as Candlemas is the feast at the end of the season.  I have another poem on the boil but somehow doubt that it will be in a form when I can take it to writers group this week. It is taking its time to mature and as yet there are few phrases and little form.

Tuesday I went to Bible Study at Rotherham, they are onto the second of the DVDs from Challenging questions. It was about having integrity in your life which in my view is far more fundamental and pertinent to most people's day to day life than questions of divorce and sexual morality. I tend to feel that if we got integrity right (and very few do) a lot of the questions about sexual morality would become more straightforward. However by integrity I don't just mean honesty, I also mean integrity and respect within relationships and I care not whether that is just friendship or marriage. That is respecting another persons integrity is part of being a person of integrity. I am however struggling with the attitude of the group quite a bit as it is rather self congratulatory.

Wednesday I was teaching so spent the morning preparing. I am realising that while I don't like the early start if I teach in a morning I also get quite tired if I teach in the afternoon. Some of this is the style by which I teach which relies hugely on memory and visual prompts. Another reason why I am not impressed with Nicky Gumble being able to talk for 45 minutes with little reference to notes. I did it for two hours on Wednesday! If I can do it he can do it. Then there is a bit of Nicky Gumble fan club at Herringthorpe. The group went well although half the sets of notes for the class did not turn up until half way through. I also need to write a further bit on organising nodes.

Thursday was quiet but busy, I saw someone on the afternoon, but then found their data was incomplete, so they wanted to get complete data before we went on with the analysis. Installed the software I will use to help the group working on a model for the fallopian tube (or the software up to a point as I expect to have to move to R at some point in order to cope with the model)

Friday apart from the bad dream went okay, I actually managed to get some transcription done, so it was only ten minutes of transcription as I am not good at settling but the more times I actually manage to transcribe anything the more chance I have of settling. Then wrote up some notes on house group and read through some essays I wrote earlier which may well be useful for my current essay.  James and Ruth no need to worry the current essay has a word limit of 2000 so I cannot just pull the essays together which would be 9000 words. What it does do is to give me some references to deal with the and some ideas with which to play. However brevity is going to be the challenge. I need to think what is essential to put within the essay.

Saturday again I managed transcription, then went into town and did the little bits of shopping that needed doing included in that was buying the books with the book token Jean and James gave me. I only got one book by Paulo Coehlo because that was all they had in; by buying it, meant that Waterstones had none on their shelves. I got a variety of other books including one by Rose Tremain and The Testament of Gideon Mack (Dad has already indicated that he wants to read it after I have finished). Oh I also made spicy sweet potato and carrot soup. Having tried it today I can say it tasted good, the only thing I found disconcerting was adding coconut cream to the soup turned it from orange to yellow. I was not expecting that.

Today I went to Herringthorpe for their FairTrade breakfast. This attracted about twenty people. They seated themselves largely in families, I joined a couple of ladies who seemed to be sitting together. It turned out one of them was from St Barnabus' Church in Rotherham and had brought her neighbour, who had dislocated her shoulder and fractured the socket, to the breakfast. The neighbour was not chuffed with the family who she felt weren't pulling their weight. The clearing up was shared out. My hands seem ideally styled for shutting the legs of church tables. Other people struggle where for me it is the job of seconds to squeeze the legs towards the edge and fold them down. It is very frustrating as I know I can do it quickly yet spend three or four times the time it would take me, watching others struggle. Herringthorpe had Simon Copeley to preach today as Pauline was still away. I have the feeling I should know recognise his name for some reason, other than him being one of my dad's former students, but for the life of me I cannot think what it was. Also his wife has moved to Herringthorpe and he will be settling there in the near future. At the moment I feel as if there is something missing in my awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment