Irregular Posting

Notice At present this blog is not being updated regularly as I am in the final stages of writing my thesis. I am still regularly updating my thesis progress reports if you want news

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Transcription, Womens Bowling and Pancakes

Lets see, This past week did not get off to a good start with a migraine, which I think was due to my normal bad behaviour on a Saturday over eating (I eat when I feel like it and what I feel like although it is not all fruit and ginger chocolate biscuits) By the way that reminds me I have found something so tempting that it is doing well if it lasts in my store cabinet a day and that is Buderim Naked Ginger which is similar to a strong crystallised ginger (think Humdinger not Waitrose) but does not have the sugar coating. The problem I have with the sugar coating is that it feels uncomfortably rough in my mouth, the same reason as I tend to pass on backed crunchy muesli. Then I went to Fairtrade Breakfast which was cereal, toast and fruit at Herringthorpe, which basically added to my bad behaviour and all my attempts to then getback on track were too late, and not helped by buying a fair trade dark chocolate bar. Actually I should have been suspicious when I ate that bar in one sitting.

Tuesday I was back in business and got on with things. I went to the bible study on forgiveness, which was interesting because it was not nearly as self satisfied, indeed I had the strange feeling that it was a topic which I might know more about than people there. It felt very much as if they had never faced a single big issue to forgive, which certainly for me was the experience that formed my own understanding of the necessity. I forgave then firstly because the bible said I should and secondly because I did not want that to rule my life. I suppose I had some awareness of how this would effect me if I allowed it to, but that is just me being me and I would not claim any merit and I have to watch that the small stuff does not catch me out, just because I once did it for a big one. Actually I wonder if there is a Screwtape style idea there about the way the habit of being unforgiving is built up in the small stuff, not the big stuff. Now I would distinguish forgiveness from reconciliation, which is the final stage after forgiving and repentance but forgiving itself is worthwhile doing.

Wednesday was my day off work, I actually got a fair bit done.  The transcription is coming along slowly but I am managing to sit down regularly to do this this month and as I get more done every time I sit down (i.e. 5 min in the first session,  8 min in the second session, 12 min in the third session and so on) I will get hopefully get through it more quickly. I also got my notes almost up to date from Herringthorpe. I also did a shop at Waitrose and on the evening Stuart came around. I am pretty sure he came around because he wanted to talk to somebody due to having the day off and not therefore having anyone to talk to. I wonder whether I should have sent him onto the Network meeting at St Andrews, oh well at least he bought me ginger biscuits. He is off to see his Mum this week (too much leave again, I think due to the fact that they often give him time in lieu when he does overtime and he never thinks to take it).

Thursday was a quiet day I seem to recall. That is not to say I didn't get things done, just that it was quiet, I think I am finding ways to be more productive at work.  It helps a lot to realise that though I can be organised I am not naturally organised. That means I need to create methods of working that don't build huge structural keep ups into them.  Things like normal to do lists are no good as I need to keep putting things on them and marking off when I have done them but if I do a daily one and bin it at the end of the day, I cope, after all I have  let tomorrow decide for itself. If anything is not done by the end of the day, it just sits on the do sometime board. I also find that keeping notes of ideas stops me from being distracted from what I am doing at the present. So if I get a good idea, I just make a note of it and get on with what I am doing after all then I can come back when I have time and review the idea.

Friday started with the breakfast and I was up in time for that, actually would have been earlier but spent ten minutes hunting for my church keys only to find them already in my coat pocket. Work was quiet allowing me to get on, although I find coming home for lunch makes a huge difference to how tired I am at the end of day. I realised just as I was about to pack up that I  had to prepare for a meeting on Monday, so I did that. Then did the turn around to get to the younger women's Wii bowling night at Herringthorpe. I had made a mistake and thought it started at 7:30 not 8:00 p.m. which meant I had also booked the car for return to early. This is the first church I have known where regular events have different starting times and there isn't a lot of questions asked about those times. So Bible study starts at 7:00 after the church meal and Younger Women's meeting starts at 8:00 pm. One of the interesting things I found was that I can bowl better on a wii than in real life. I also confused everybody by saying I was right handed which I am but then picking up the hand piece and bowling left handed. I am definitely right handed but when learning something new I often use my left as well as my right, I think because my left is better at putting the whole thing together while my right tends to do the correct things but not necessarily in a coordinated way.

Yesterday was a quiet Saturday, however after last week I decided that one thing I would have to be fussy about and that is to make sure that I get something other than toast and fruit. So this week I tried making egg rich pancakes with blueberries. It worked fine but I need something more mushy than blueberries as a filler as they just rolled out. However having done that I ate properly the rest of the day rather than snacking on carbohydrate rich snacks and coffee. Hopefully this will mean less migraines after the weekends but we shall see. Otherwise transcription, shopping in town, and so on.

Today back to Herringthorpe. The car windscreen was covered with ice when I picked it up this morning and I had forgotten my de-icer at home so it was turn on the car heating an weight for the windscreens to clear which they did surprisingly quickly, less than five minutes. Pauline was back and preached on forgiveness. The communion was largely standard, I am begining to find a way of relating while I am there. It helped I think that the congregation was lighter today. I think I actually find the crowded crush hall too noisy and I cannot participate in conversations until later on and most people have left. I am slowly waking up to the fact that Herringthorp like the majority of churches I have been in, actually has people fighting over the music for worship. It is an intriguing one, in that I characterised it as Moody and Sankey vs Graham Kendrick. My father said this afternoon given that choice he'd go with Graham Kendrick. Actually I find I like a lot of the real modern worship songs, they seem less trying to be a rock star than those of our generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment